Am Montag, 6. September 2021, 19:38:38 CEST schrieb Jack:
> On 2021.09.06 10:33, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I just tried to upgrade a older installation via binary packages and
> > this
> > broke my system. After around 25 packages of almost 300 it stopped
> > with error
> > and failing packages.
> >
> > $ emerge
> > Failed to validate a sane '/dev'.
> > bash process substitution doesn't work; this may be an indication of
> > a broken
> > '/dev/fd'.
> > $ ls -l /dev/fd/
> > insgesamt 0
> > lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 0 -> /dev/pts/0
> > lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 1 -> /dev/pts/0
> > lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 2 -> /dev/pts/0
> > lr-x------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 3 -> /proc/27261/fd
> >
> > --> looks allright, but:
> >
> > $ bash
> > bash: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by
> > /lib64/
> > libreadline.so.8)
> >
> > --> system broken(!), cannot start any shell anymore, cannot install
> > anything
> > anymore and it's obvious that the system is bricked after reboot or
> > even when
> > the ssh session I'm logged in is closed.
> >
> > It seems like as if sys-libs/readline-8.1_p1-r1-1:0/8::gentoo is
> > installed
> > *before* installing a suitable glibc, breaking any binary that has
> > the useflag
> > readline (including bash).
> >
> > Two questions:
> > How do I get out of this mess?
> > Why does portage not work in correct package order? Portage bug?
>
> It might help if you stated which version of packages you currently
> have installed - specifically glibc.
>
> As for recovery, you most likely need to boot to a live image (CD or
> USB) then chroot into the existing system.  I'm only guessing as to
> what is the minimal list of files you will need to replace, but I'd see
> if you can find or create a binary package of the latest glibc and then
> install or unpack that to your system.
>
> As to whether this might be a bug in portage, I'd say you need to
> provide more details about exactly what you did.  What emerge line,
> what you mean by installation via binary packages, and where you got
> those binary packages.
>
> If you do still have a running shell, does emerge still run at all?

What I did is:
* On my build host, I compiled the full system and creating packages
* On the client (i.e. The machine in question) I simply did a emerge -auvDNk
world.
* Portage did not complain about any conflicts, the amount of packages is what
I expected, so I started the upgrade.
* After about 25 packages installed successfully, emerge stopped with the
errors explained before.

For me the problem is solved now as I could recover the system, but I still
would like to know how to prevent this -- installing glibc prior world may be
a good idea.

Thanks,
  Alex