On 9/7/21 12:13 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:32:41 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:

Why is it checking the build environment for a binary package?

I was wondering the same.

As it stands, I can't fix this problem.

I tried editing the ebuild (removing the __thread check) and rebuilding
the manifest but it still fails at the same place. I've double- and
triple-checked it's the right ebuild but it's still running the checks!

Some assistance on installing glibc would be much appreciated!

You can untar the binary package into /, which bypasses the checks. Then
you can emerge it so that portage knows where it stands.

The usual guarantees apply: if it breaks your system, you get to keep the
pieces. I'd backup / first.

Thanks Neil, I just unpacked it manually and it fixed my problem.

gcc actually works now so I've remerged (emerge -K1) glibc and pax-utils.

I had a *really* old stage4-esque backup if it really came down to it. I think that's the first time a binary update (I have two identical PCs, a bit on the slow side - so one binpkgs them and I install them on the second one, lessening the compiling load.)

Still don't know why glibc was checking the build environment for a binary package though, that was really strange. As gcc was broken and not providing any meaningful output for checks, it fails immediately.

Dan