210914 Philip Webb wrote:
> 210913 David Haller wrote:
>> Gwenview uses color-management via media-libs/lcms, feh does not.
>> See "Rendering intent" and "Color profile" under "Advanced"
>> in Gwenview's configure dialog.  HTH.
> That cb relevant, but I've explored further & have some results.
>
> When I crop a JPG image with Fotoxx or Gwenview,
> then view it with Gwenview, the colors remain vivid ;
> this is true whether I rename the new version in Gwenview or not.
>
> It's only when I crop a PNG image in Gwenview
> & save it in place (ie with the same name), that the colors are faded
> & that's only when viewed with Gwenview, not eg with Feh.
>
> So I can avoid the problem either by cropping only with Fotoxx
> or by renaming them whenever I do it with Gwenview
> or by converting PNGs to JPGs before cropping them.

I have reconfirmed this.

> The bad case does look like a Gwenview bug,
> but KDE bugs tend to disappear into the ocean, if reported.

In fact, as I had forgotten (grimace), I did submit a bug previously :
KDE Bug 420357 back in April 2020, to which no-one has yet responded.
I've added a comment & we'll see if there's any response this time.

> Thanks for the comments.  I will try redoing the faded versions,
> tho' that will mean getting them from the I/net again.

I managed to do that & now have images which cb seen via Gwenview.

> Any further suggestions re causes of the bad case are welcome.

They still are, but it does seem to be a bug.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca