On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at a few software solutions based on another thread here
> but so far nothing has excited me so recommendations for what makes sense for
> high reliability home backup is of great interest, especially if it helps me
> somehow in cleaning up the backups after deleting stuff on my main machine on
> purpose and therefore not needing it on the backup.

It is probably going to stretch your budget, but you should look into
distributed filesystems like CephFS/MooseFS/LizardFS.  The latter two
at least should run fine on hardware like a Pi4 if you aren't doing
too much IOPS.  You could actually run them on as little as a single
host, which would probably be cheaper than a commercial NAS though
really no better.  The big advantages is that you aren't limited by
the drive capacity of a single host, and you have redundancy at the
host level.  That is, you can pull a plug on any host and the whole
thing just keeps running.

Again, I realize this isn't exactly what you asked for.  IMO this is
the long-term direction storage is trending towards though.  I can't
vouch for the hardware requirements for Ceph, but that can scale
incredibly well and is pretty-much the future.  I've heard it isn't so
great on just a few hosts though.

--
Rich