> Jack wrote:
> > On 2021.10.05 15:32, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> I have "eudev" installed but I think it will be obsolete as of
> >> Jan.1/22 according to news: 2021-08-24-eudev-retirement
> >>
> >> Does converting from: sys-fs/eudev
> >> to: sys-fs/udev
> >>
> >> is as simple as: emerge -C sys-fs/eudev emerge sys-fs/udev
> > Have you read the news item?  It's not quite that literal about what
> > to do, but does imply that should work.  However, on 15 Sep there was
> > a post on the gentoo-dev list with a link to
> > https://github.com/eudev-project/eudev (see README.md) which says that
> > there is a new team taking up maintenance of eudev, so it is not
> > abandoned, and so it is not clear whether eudev will actually be
> > dropped or not.
> >

> When I switched from udev to eudev, it was as simple as uninstalling udev and
> installing eudev.  I'd think as you do the reverse would work now as well but
> as you point out, it may not.  I'd recommend going to a console to do this
> and logging out of any GUIs as well.  Of course restarting udev afterwards as
> well.
>
> I also saw the post about new maintainers.  I'm hopeful that it will keep
> being maintained even tho it can be a headache for devs at times. Thing is,
> I've read a lot of distros use eudev and avoid the systemd version as much as
> possible, even tho eudev still has the same code from my understanding.
> Still, I'd rather stick with what works for me.
>
> Maybe we will know pretty soon what the status of this will be.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I was also glad to hear about the new maintainers.  The day after I heard the
project had served its purpose and was being abandoned I went to update one of
my few systems with udev instead of eudev and the build crashed and it took me
a couple hours to trick it into compiling correctly.  I was a little worried
that might end up being prophetic.  Whatever the exact differences are, eudev
still seems to build a little more reliably.  Maybe it's just that the project
does a better job of informing people about changes to the build requirements...

LMP