From: Roy Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 11:16 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates

John Dangler wrote:

>Roy~
>Thanks for the reply.  I actually used genkernel to make the kernel.  I
used
>'genkernel all'.  That's why I'm a little confused as to why this didn't
>take effect.  The previous kernel was also built with genkernel and didn't
>have any problems.
>
>Regards,
>
>JD

I'm about out of my league with this.  Just a couple of days experience
with genkernel before switching to menuconfig...

Just a few things to check.

dmesg

recent logs in /var/log

Look in /lib/modules.  You should see some kernel directories.  Ex:

royw-gentoo etc # ls /lib/modules/
2.4.28  2.6.11-gentoo-r11  2.6.11-gentoo-r4  2.6.11-gentoo-r9
2.6.12-gentoo-r10  2.6.13-gentoo-r3

Then look in the problem kernel's directory.  Ex:

royw-gentoo etc # ls /lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r10/
CiscoVPN  kernel  modules.alias   modules.dep
modules.inputmap   modules.pcimap   modules.usbmap  video
build     misc    modules.ccwmap  modules.ieee1394map
modules.isapnpmap  modules.symbols  source

Then you can dig down into kernel/* looking for *.ko files.  Ex:

royw-gentoo etc # find /lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r10/kernel -name
"*.ko" -print
/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/base/firmware_class.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/block/pktcdvd.ko

This should give you a warm fuzzy that the modules were built...

If all that's there, then look at the modules configs in /etc.  Ex:

royw-gentoo etc # ls -d /etc/modules*
/etc/modules.autoload.d  /etc/modules.conf  /etc/modules.conf.old
/etc/modules.d  /etc/modules.devfs

/etc/modules.d contains individual module config files.  modules-update
will merge these into
/etc/modules.conf.

That's about the sum of my knowledge here...

HTH,
Roy