On 2021-11-06 16:32-0400 John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi.  If I try to play a youtube video using a console app like mpv, or
> if I try to download a youtube video directly by using youtube-dl, the
> speed is about dialup speed.  Now, I have a Winblows box in the same
> network and I don't get the slowdown.  I have a program there which
> downloads the same exact youtube video quite rapidly.  Is youtube-dl
> doing something wrong maybe by having a wrong user agent, or is there
> something else to be done?  My version is 2021.06.06.  This seems
> quite old to me for this program.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Google changed something to make youtube-dl slow and its development
seems to have stopped.

The fork everyone is using now is yt-dlp (net-misc/yt-dlp). It
downloads with normal speeds. The newest version of the ebuild installs
a compatibility-wrapper so programs calling youtube-dl will
automatically use yt-dlp instead.

Kind regards, tastytea

--
Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tasty...@tastytea.de` or at