On 11/15/21 12:02, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:42:28AM -0700, Skippy wrote:
On 11/15/21 09:14, tastytea wrote:

snip

When in gPodder i enable use of Youtube-dl I get the message

Extension cannot be activated.
Python module not found: youtube_dl

That looks like it does not use the program, but the python module
directly. You could try if symlinking
/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp to
/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/youtube_dl helps. Replace python3.9
with your version of course.
If that works, please file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org.

Anyone know how to make gPodder use yt-dlp?

Do I simply need a link that sends youtube_dl to yt-dlp?

yt-dlp already installs a wrapper script in /usr/bin/youtube-dl.

Kind regards, tastytea

I created the symlink as you instructed and it appears to be working.
When I enable use of youtube-dl in gPodder I get no error messages.  I
just added a youtube feed and am downloading some videos.

Thanks for the assistance.

Hm, slightly surprised it works. I've had a poorer experience with
symlinking the python module (not fully compatible). I considered
having the ebuild do it but ultimately skipped that.

However, if you say it works I think I'll have a 2nd look a bit later.
It's fairly harmless to add either way.

(I picked up maintaining yt-dlp in ::gentoo recently)

In regards to filing a bug - I'm unclear exactly what the bug is.  Is
the bug the fact that gPodder will not use yt-dlp in place of youtube-dl
without your work-around?

gpodder's upstream already has a bug report to use yt-dlp

Mentioned bugs.gentoo.org, so imagine the idea was that gentoo's ebuild
could add the symlink. I got the message anyhow so can skip the bug.

Update on what's happening with this - now it's not behaving nicely. I'm not sure what has changed.

With use Youtube-dl enabled updating the feeds is very slow.

I get this error message under each non-YouTube feed in the main window:

ERROR: 'str' object has no attriubte 'suitable'

And I get this for each feed in my log file:

2021-11-22 07:58:58,085 [gpodder.gtkui.main] ERROR: Error: 'str' object has no attribute 'suitable'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/gtkui/main.py", line 2671, in update_feed_cache_proc
    channel.update(max_episodes=self.config.max_episodes_per_feed)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/model.py", line 1166, in update
    self._consume_updated_feed(result.feed, max_episodes)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/model.py", line 1076, in _consume_updated_feed
    new_episodes, seen_guids = feed.get_new_episodes(self, existing_guids)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/model.py", line 155, in get_new_episodes
    episode = channel.EpisodeClass.from_podcastparser_entry(entry, channel)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/model.py", line 298, in from_podcastparser_entry link_has_media = registry.custom_downloader.resolve(None, None, episode) is not None File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gpodder/registry.py", line 31, in resolve
    result = resolver(item, *args)
File "/usr/share/gpodder/extensions/youtube-dl.py", line 443, in custom_downloader
    if self.is_supported_url(episode.url):
File "/usr/share/gpodder/extensions/youtube-dl.py", line 432, in is_supported_url
    if ie.suitable(url) and ie.ie_key() not in self.ie_blacklist:
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'suitable'
2021-11-22 07:59:40,788 [urllib3.connectionpool] WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLEOFError(8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:1145)'))': /rss2.xml

All non YouTube files fail to download.  For each file I get the error:
ERROR: 'str' object has no attriubte 'suitable'

When I disable using Youtube-dl the non-YouTube files download without problem.

The work around is simply to turn off 'use Youtube-dl' to download podcasts.

I just wanted to get this information out to you.