On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 2:17 PM Jigme Datse
<jigme.da...@datsemultimedia.com> wrote:

> I honestly was afraid of this with running some updates lately.
> Like...  Not this specifically, but because someone was commenting
> about eudev->udev causing problems...  And then the problems I was
> having a hard time with some updates on a relatively new instance, and
> I noticed that was something that needed to be done for Gentoo
> purposes...  They do seem to be doing *somewhat* better for having
> Gentoo workable than when I started looking at using them in part
> because of that (yeah I know it's not recommended, and I don't really
> recommend it for anyone else, but it's what I like).

I suspect they would have had similar issues with other distros, but
that would have been years ago when udev made the change and eudev
decided not to merge it.  That dates to around the time eudev started.

They may very well have done more hand-holding or mitigation for the
other distros simply due to their popularity, and also uniformity.
The distros themselves probably also did some mitigation around this
change so that the average Ubuntu user who doesn't know what an "eth0"
is wouldn't have to be aware of the change.

With Gentoo a certain amount of this stuff just has to be dropped on
the user simply because we can't be sure users didn't change things,
and indeed being able to change this stuff is part of the appeal of
Gentoo.  Besides, Gentoo users probably would want to be aware of it
anyway...

--
Rich