On 06/12/2021 19:26, Laurence Perkins wrote:
Genkernel is pretty...  special...  It's handy if your system is set up the way
it expects.  If not, well, then its utility drops off quickly.

 From what you're describing, my suggestion would be to simply only use it for initramfs
generation and do the kernel make yourself.  That shouldn't "stomp all over"
anything except maybe a previous initramfs for the same kernel.

:-)

That's exactly what I was doing !!!

I roll my own kernel, make install quite happily shoves it in whatever /boot it finds.

If I tell genkernel to create an initramfs, provided I let it stomp all over the LIVE /boot, it works fine. As soon as I try and stop it, by saying "don't automount /boot", or "don't actually install the initramfs", all hell breaks loose.

In the past, genkernel's always worked fine for me. That's why I use it - dracut looks a lot more complicated ... but when genkernel throws a hissy fit and craps all over my system because I won't let it do what IT thinks is best, then it makes you want to dump the lot.

What else in gentoo has the same craptastic logic? --keep-going is the same - it doesn't do what it says ...

Oh well, if SourceMage works for me, then I'll probably dual-boot for a while and we'll see what happens ...

Cheers,
Wol