I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a memory
leak,
have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a large
number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht index (not
sure what the proper terminology for this is)

You should double check your settings and make sure everything has sane
limits