On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:05:58 +0000
Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12/12/2021 05:55, Bryan Gardiner wrote:
> > I don't really look forward to uninstalling bzip2.  Manually
> > uninstalling and reinstalling freetype and harfbuzz doesn't fix the
> > issue.  I am thinking about deleting all of these libraries by hand
> > and then rebuilding the packages, or perhaps unmerging freetype and
> > harfbuzz with FEATURES="-preserved-libs".  I'm not sure if this will
> > clean up all of Portage's metadata about the libraries though.
> >
> > Any insight into a 'proper' way to fix this would be appreciated.
>
> If you read the messages, it should tell you which program is actually
> pulling freetype and harfbuzz in with the flags you don't want. Are they
> currently installed with the correct flags you want?
>
> If they don't have the flags you want, try to force-emerge them with the
> flags you do want and portage will complain "can't do that because of
> ..." That should tell you the problem program. Do an emerge -C on that
> program, re-emerge harfbuzz and freetype with the correct flags, and you
> SHOULD be home and dry ...

Hi and thanks,

I finally had time to look at this again, and setting USE=-harfbuzz
and running

    ABI_X86_32='32 64' emerge -v1 freetype harfbuzz
    emerge -v1 freetype harfbuzz

fixed it (by breaking the 32-bit freetype -> harfbuzz dep).  I don't
know where I went wrong before.  I also broke Portage temporarily by
force-emerging the older harfbuzz that the preserved lib was from, and
hit bug #521968, but it's all good now.

Cheers,
Bryan