On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 11:26:34 +0100, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

> Nice idea.   However, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible, be-
> cause an important usecase for me is  installing a new  or fixing an ex-
> isting system after booting from a USB stick.  The "script" binary is in
> package "sys-apps/util-linux"  which belongs to "@system",  so it SHOULD
> be on my USB stick.   Like "cmp" and "diff" from package "sys-apps/diff-
> utils" which belong to "@system" too, but which were NOT on my USB stick
> when I used it to install my current system about three years ago, or at
> least they were not in "PATH"  (I then didn't frantically need these, so
> I didn't really search for them).

Use a different live distro, one that includes all you need - such as
System Rescue. I think Arve's suggestion of using screen (or tmux) is the
simplest effective solution. I routinely run emerge -a @world in a tmux
session, and scrolling back though long update lists is easy.

--
Neil Bothwick

I spilled Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.