On 13/03/2022 22:26, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
On 3/13/22 14:34, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 14:04:59 -0600, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

On 3/13/22 13:21, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
Upgraded to: gentoo-sources-5.10.103
and kernel will not boot, not even recovery mode.

I'm getting some strange looping/scrolling message on the screen:

Kscan: watching read  1  fsk983s....

I followed standard procedure:

emerge -avq =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-5.10.103
cd /usr/src/
eselect kernel set 3  (this is: linux -> linux-5.10.103-gentoo)
cd linux
cp ../linux-old_kernel/.config .
mount /boot/

make oldconfig
make
make modules_prepare
make modules_install
make install

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
reboot

( did the same on my other boxes and this kernel is booting OK on
other installations)

Solved.

Please post the solution. Otherwise anyone with a similar problem
searching for an answer will find only the question and a tease that it
can be fixed but not telling how.

Simple human error :-/

When I did:
cd linux
cp ../linux-old_kernel/.config .
mount /boot/
make oldconfig

New entries showed up. Instead of pressing "enter" I made a mistake and press "Y" several times. This enabled some feature in the new kernel that shouldn't be there; example: "CONFIG_KCSAN = y"

Redoing the process just by hitting "enter" soled the problem; new kernel boot as it should.

make olddefconfig will the same as oldconfig while picking the defaults, this will save on hitting enter each time.

Steve