On Wednesday 02 November 2005 12:52 pm, C. Beamer wrote:

> Up until now, what I needed to do in MySQL, I could do just fine and
> never even knew about mysqldump until recently.  As I previously stated,
> I've only been using Gentoo since September.  When I used to use FC4,
> all I ever did was make a copy of the database files that had the
> extensions of .MYI, .MYD and .frm and then when I needed to because of
> an upgrade where I wiped my system, I would just create a directory in
> the appropriate place that was named after the database and then copy
> these files back into the directory.  Then, all I would have to do was
> set up the appropriate permissions for access and I could use the
> database.  This is how I did it to get the database into Gentoo
> originally as well.

Well, this works for myisam, and few other, but not innodb.. Obviously you
dont have it then..

> This works and is not a big deal.  As I said, I'm just curious if there
> is a way to fix things so that my database will be backed up properly
> with the mysqldump process that is run when upgrading.  As I also
> stated, I haven't had the chance to try dumping the existing database
> alone using mysqldump.

Well, then you would be more interested in mysqlhotcopy.. That pretty much
does what your doing..

Mysql INC has yet to make a real backup/restore procedure for mysql. So
mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy is pretty much it. If you use innodb, I would go
after ibbackup. (not free).

I have been on a few developers about it, just doesnt seem high priority to
them. (or I am not talking to the right ones).

Jeff