On 4/23/22 06:04, David Fries wrote:
That sounds unusual, I tried both xterm and uxterm and they both
behave like I expect with registering key presses including F1 as long
as that xterm has focus no matter if the mouse is someplace else. It
is the same behavior as other terminals and other programs.
Style "*" SloppyFocus

The left click xterm menu has a Secure Keyboard option. In this mode
the xterm grabs the keyboard and doesn't give it up until it is
minimized or you ask it to give it up. The idea is nothing else can
grab your keyboard while you type in a password, for the paranoid I
guess. You might want to read about it in the man page see securekbd,
and see if once it grabs the keyboard if it still gets the keys no
matter where the mouse is (what I see).

The behavior you describe is something like what ssh-askpass-gnome
does, only in that case it grabs the keyboard focus, then ignores all
keys until the mouse is over it. I find this annoying because I have
hotkeys to move the mouse around, which don't work because it has a
keyboard grab.

Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned, ClickToFocus.

I am certain this is not some kind of subtle interplay of features, like
you're suggesting.  ClickToFocus does not behave this way on Linux, just
on Cygwin.