On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 4:53 PM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2022, 4:25 PM Wol <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 14/07/2022 18:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > If instead I'm in Linux with a Win10 VM running I can run the same
> > > software in the VM, and it will always see the external DSP when first
> > > started, but at random times, generally 5-20 seconds but never more
than
> > > 5 minutes, the software will tell me the USB connection has been
> > > interrupted and I am forced in the software to reestablish a
connection.
> > > I am always able to reconnect but I am so far unable to keep it
connected.

> > Is there a setting in VB to say "take over the USB port"? ISTR something
> > of the sort, which would basically let Win10 take over the port and
> > drive it, with linux out of the picture.
> >
> > Don't trust me on this, I don't play with USB and it's ages since I
> > stumbled across this, but it's worth taking a look.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Wol
>

> Good questions. I'm not sure with USB. As I understand it there
> are options in Virtualbox to pass through complete pieces of hardware.
> I've read that people do this with complete graphics cards. In theory
> possibly it could be done with USB but my guess is it might be
> difficult as most USB controllers are part of the chipset. Still, it's
worth
> some study.
>
> As this DSP processor is identified as an audio device I wondered
> today if possibly pulseaudio might be trying to grab it. I intend to
> look into configuring PA not to touch it.
>
> There's also (possibly) blacklisting certain USB device IDs. In the
> VM I configured it to understand the device ID and hook to it.
> Possibly I can tell the Linux USB stack to ignore this device so that
> PA or some other part of the system just stays away.
>
> But being that the DSP device is an guitar amplifier modeler
> and my new Tele came back from my guitar tech at lunchtime
> I spent the afternoon playing the guitar! Nonproductive but fun!
>
> Thanks for the ideas,
> Mark

More or less solved this morning apparently. We'll see after more time
has elapsed.

My desktop environment is KDE. MY sound environment is then, by
default, pulseaudio. By disabling the DSP processor as a sound
device in KDE System Settings I've now been running the VM
and support software for about 90 minutes with only 1 disconnection
which came the very first time I did something in KDE (started a
new chrome window) after starting the control software in the VM.

Since then I have had no more disconnections.

I will have to see how it does over the rest of the day and weeks
ahead but it's certainly acting better right now.

Cheers,
Mark