On Nov 3, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Jeff Smelser wrote:

On Thursday 03 November 2005 07:49 am, C. Beamer wrote:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

I googled for this and gather that it has something to do with the
placement of the mysqld.sock file.

The problem is the only post that I found that was specific to Gentoo
was in German. Since I don't want to screw things up any more than they
already are, I'm turning here for help.

I do have the file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Thats a connection refused message.. Make sure the proper mysql files are there, and you may need to restart it to load your versions of the grant
tables.

you might also shut down mysql, verify that all processes are gone, and make sure that file is gone. that file should ONLY exist while mysql is running.

Jeff