Am Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 04:13:19PM -0400 schrieb Philip Webb:

> Since then, it hasn't worked out very well
> & I'm still relying on my 7-year-old machine (ANB5).

What hasn’t worked out specifically?

> I would like to have PCIe 4.0 , which is much faster than 3.0 ,
> to improve Gentoo compile times ; I don't do gaming.

As Mark already mentioned – PCIe speed has no impact on compile times. It’s
only used for communication between CPU and {GPU, NVMe, Chipset}, or between
GPU and RAM.

> I want to buy from a physical store, not delivered by an on-line order,
> in case there's a defect, so that I can easily take it back to the store.

So you built the Ryzen system we talked about, and now want to start over?

> my impression is that if you get PCIe 4.0 , you don't get CPU graphics,
> but have to buy a separate graphics card ;
> if you have built-in graphics in the CPU, you get only PCIe 3.0.

That’s the way with AM3-socket APUs. It won’t be with AM4, but those are
probably still a year away (at least half a year).

Also, the new AM4 CPUs all have a basic iGPU inside, much like most Intels
have had until now. They won’t be much to write home about, but will be
sufficient for office and desktop.

> I might be willing to get an Intel CPU,
> but in their specifications there's no mention of PCIe (3 or 4) :
> is this an accident or are PCIe's confined to AMD ?

When I need such information, I like to go to Wikipedia. It has everything
under one roof, often in very similar formats for both vendors. Here’s a
description of Intel’s recent generation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake
And as you can see, those have 16×PCIe 5 for the graphics slot and another
4×4.0, probably for NVMe. The chipset is connected via Intel’s proprietary
DMI and connects to more mass storage, USB etc.

> Does anyone have any useful advice or suggestions ?

Well, we suggested stuff and advised on things. Please elaborate what hasn’t
worked out for you and why.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Show me a hero and I prove to you that he is an asshole.