Am 07.10.22 um 17:47 schrieb tastytea:
On 2022-10-07 17:25+0200 n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

Am 07.10.22 um 16:56 schrieb Grant Taylor:
On 10/7/22 8:25 AM, n952162 wrote:
Can anybody tell me how I can look at the official change history
of linux commands?
Some man pages have history of commands in them.

Admittedly, it seems as if man pages on Solaris and *BSD (I have
access to FreeBSD) tend to be better than Linux man page at this
aspect.

Well, the man page, yes, would be a good indicator, but the commands
themselves?

Where does gentoo get the source to build  test(1) or expr(1) or
date(1)?    That's in some package, but where is the upstream source?
Is it something in github?  Or a linux portal?  Or Torvalds private
server?  Or the gnu server?

/usr/bin/test[1] was installed by sys-apps/coreutils[2], it's homepage
is <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>[3], that links to the
source code repository.

Other ways to find out:
   - `equery meta sys-apps/coreutils`
   - `less $(portageq get_repo_path /
gentoo)/sys-apps/coreutils/coreutils-8.32-r1.ebuild`

Kind regards, tastytea

[1] `whereis test`
[2] `qfile /usr/bin/test` or `equery belongs /usr/bin/test`
[3] `eix sys-apps/coreutils` or emerge -s sys-apps/coreutils`

Oh, that's good.  Thank you.