hitachi303 wrote:
> Am 11.11.22 um 07:25 schrieb Dale:
>> I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while.  I tried upgrading
>> to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18.  I upgraded like I always
>> do, copy .config over and run make oldconfig.  Once I get everything in
>> /boot, init thingy and all, I update grub.  When I get around to
>> rebooting, the new kernels always fail part way through booting.  I
>> can't recall the error since I last tried a newer kernel several months
>> ago.
>
> Do you follow the guide on gentoo wiki?
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade
>
> I don't know why but building and installing is not in this article.
> For that I do follow this one (there is a link from kernel upgrade to
> this on, but it is kind of hidden)
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration#Build
>
> .

I haven't had to follow a guide in ages.  I been building my own kernels
for almost 20 years now.  My problem is that the two updated kernels
doesn't work.  If it was just one version, it could just be a bad build
or something.  Thing is, I tried updating from a working config to two
different versions and both failed.  I suspect that something major
changed and going from a old config file may not work.  Thing is, I
don't know if that is the case or not.  It could be, hence the question,
but it could be something else or just that I missed something and
someone else knows what that something is because they ran into it
earlier.

I wish when they did major changes, they would also change the number
scheme to reflect that.  As I read in another post, sometimes even a
number change in the third place can give a very different kernel,
something major removed or added.  Unless one reads all the posts on the
kernel mailing list, one wouldn't know that change happened.

I did build a new kernel from the old config and running make
oldconfig.  When I get around to rebooting, I'll see if it works or
not.  If not, I'll note the error and see if that gives any clues.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)