Because it's the only thing that lets him make all the esoteric customizations
he wants.  I have a brother who has the same kinds of troubles just about as
often.  He just also knows that it's because he wants to compile everything
with LLVM/Clang.

Unfortunately, the package manager that can account for everything the user
might possibly have changed and make it compile anyway is still a work in
progress.

LMP