I use pdfjam (which is in app-text/texlive-core) for this sort of
thing, and it's pretty fantastic.  It's pretty dependency heavy if you
dont already use texlive though, as it's using texlive's pdfpages as
its backend.  So if you're a latex user I'd go that way, if not use
one of the other recommended tools