On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 at 05:40, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To get sound to go to the TV screen, I set this in Smplay preferences
> for audio where it says Output driver:  alsa:device=hw=1.7  Until now,
> that has always worked and that is several years and even a few kernel
> upgrades.  Sound for Smplayer goes to TV screen but all other sound goes
> to the main speakers through the little jack and a amp I have hooked to
> it.

I won't be telling you what to one way or the other about pulseaudio,
but I don't expect ALSA to stop working any time soon. Just for
reference, to get sound to my TV when playing video with mpv
(originally a fork of mplayer, so possibly accepts most of the same
parameters that would work for you in smplay), I use this parameter:

--audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

Looking at your aplay output from the old kernel, putting this in
Smplay might work:

Output driver: alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1

I wonder though if it means anything that in the new aplay -l output
for your TV it says, Subdevices: 0/1.

Cheers,
Arve