On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 05:28:05PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> What do you use to play .wav files? I've come across a collection which I'd
> like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo. Media-
> sound/wavplay doesn't do it.

About any non-specialized audio players will support .wav alongside
any popular formats (ogg, mp3, etc...). No need to be looking for a
wav-only player.

When just want to play about anything supported by ffmpeg, video
players can be simple too, aka media-video/mpv can play .wav from
the command line (also supports many audio output backends).

For basic tools, there's "aplay" from alsa-utils, or "play" from
media-sound/sox (SoX can also be used to work on wav files from the
command line, transform, trim, adjust volume, etc...).

--
ionen