I'm b-a-a-a-a-ck... on my regular desktop.  I re-installed with
unicode enabled and locale corrected.  Some rough edges, specifically no
line-drawing characters.  See attached image.  Mutt is supposed to have
horizontal lines from right after the ")" up to the ">".  Similarly mc
is supposed to have vertical and horizontal line drawing characters
separating and surrounding the two panels.  I can use "mc -a" to get a
decent emulation with "+", "_", and "|" in place of line-drawing
characters.  Similarly mutt has the "set ascii_chars" option to get an
ugly version of line-threading.  Since this problem shows up on more
than one app, I assume that it's a general system problem.  Any ideas on
how to get real line-drawing characters back?

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars.  Searching for pages with AltaVista,