Dan Johansson wrote:

I'm trying to setup a new Linux-server with an on board RAID-controller (Promise PDC20265 FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100). Now everything goes well until I try to do a pvcreate on one of the raid-partitions, this is the output I get:
# pvcreate /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4
 Device /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4 not found.

But the device-file is there (along with the other partitions).

# ll /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf*
brw-------  1 root root 253,  7 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf
brw-------  1 root root 253,  8 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf1
brw-------  1 root root 253,  9 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf2
brw-------  1 root root 253, 10 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf3
brw-------  1 root root 253, 11 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4

I suspect the devices are being filtered. Take a look at /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and try running pvcreate with "-vv" to see how it is probing the devices. You might need to add a 'filter = [ a/pdc_*/" ]' option to lvm.conf.

-Richard