A whole bunch of busy-work for emerge, and nothing in the news item
indicates it's really necessary for the average user.  Howsabout...

* manually zapping with "rm -rf /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-alternatives"
* and then include "app-alternatives" in the file pointed to by
  PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=<whatever>"

  Am I missing something obvious that would cause problems?

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars.  Searching for pages with AltaVista,