On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:53:30 +0000
Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 February 2023 13:18:24 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
>
> > First, keep in mind that --jobs=16 + -j16 can result in up to 256
> > (16*16) tasks running at once.  Of course, that is worst case and most
> > of the time you'll have way less than that.
>
> Yes, I was aware of that, but why didn't --load-average=32 take precedence?
This only means that emerge would not schedule additional package job
(where a package job means something like `emerge gcc`) when load
average > 32, howwever if a job is scheduled it's running, independently
of the current load.
While having it in MAKEOPTS, it would be handled by the make system,
which schedules single build jobs, and would stop scheduling additional
jobs, when the load is too high.

Extreme case:
emerge chromium firefox qtwebengine
  --> your load when you do this is pretty much close to 0, i.e. all 3
  packages are being merged simultaneously and each will be built with
  -j16.
I.e. for a long time you will have about 3*16=48 single build jobs
running in parallel, i.e. you should see a load going towards 48, when
you do not have anything in your MAKEOPTS.

Cheers
Andreas