Hi,

according to https://bugs.gentoo.org/718972 (and a posting
in the dev list), gsutil (and all needed libs) will be removed
from the tree because "it's broken" (which is not true - works
like a charm).

Since I do need gsutil urgently, I have already copied the needed
ebuilds from /usr/portage to a local overlay in order to "emerge
-c gsutil::gentoo" and then "emerge gsutil::local".

But then came to my mind: Is that necessary at all? As far as I
know, I can just leave discontinued packages installed and continue
to use them - regardless of whether they are still in portage tree
or not. True or false?

Or is it better to get rid of portage/ebuilds at all and do a
manual installation, as described at
https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gsutil_install?hl=en ?

Thanks,

-Matt