On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:14:28AM -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:16:07AM -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
> > >
> > I did note something I consider quite odd, though. While rebooting,
> > local.start runs right _before_ inittab starts to bring the system to
> > runlevel 3.
> >
> > A couple thing here.
> >
> > rc-status shows /etc/init.d/local as part of the _default_ runlevel.
> >
> > /etc/init.d/local stop  -  warns about shutting a boot service. This
> > warning only happens the first time it is stopped after a reboot.
> > Subsequent stops and starts produce no warnings.
> >
> > It looks to me like _local_ is for some reason being started earlier
> > than it should, or my understanding of the boot process is limited.
> >
> OK, I may have found the answer here, which I'll verify tonight when I
> get home and can watch a reboot.
>
> /etc/init.d/local needsme
>
> showed that /etc/init.d/splash was dependent on local. splash was in the
> boot runlevel, although I haven't used splash for a few months now, and
> obviously forgot to remove it. I am pretty sure this will solve my
> problem.

Well damn. Removing /etc/init.d/splash from the boot runlevel did in fact
cause /etc/init.d/local to run as the last initscript, just like it's
supposed to. But it didn't solve the problem of mutt segfaulting when
called here.

I took Neil's advice and emerged mailx. All is well again in gentooland.

(I'd sure like to know why mutt didn't work in local.start, though)

Thanks for all the help,
John
--
If voting could change anything,