On 11/04/2023 15:24, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:59:08 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

What does the panel think of these new status messages from portage
(~amd64)? At first I thought "that's useful", but after a while I
concluded that it just adds to the clutter on the screen and actually
impedes my ability to follow progress.

I like it. Previously, I had to wait for the completed counter to
increment before knowing that installation of a package was complete.
It's handy if you need to interrupt an emerge session and don't want to
do it just before Chromium has finished installing :-O

Perhaps I'm just being a Grumpy Old Man (tm).

See above, some Grumpy Old Men like it ;-)

I've just configured konsole to display the current command in the sense of it displays "emerging x of y package-name" or similar. So that provides me a nice progress counter, and I only look at the contents of the console if that's not enough.

Cheers,
Wol