On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 06:56:35PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

>   ***I CAN'T EVEN BUILD THE CURRENT GLIBC ON MY MACHINE***.  It looks
> more and more like somewhere somehow my profile selection got changed
> after my previous glibc update.
>
>   I regularly back up incrementally to two large standalone backup
> drives.  Every so often, I tarball my $HOME dir and push the copy over
> to my "hot backup" machine.  I intend to do that tonight, followed by
> selecting profile...
>
> [15]  default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib (stable)
>
> ...and then running...
>
> emerge --changed-use --deep --update @world

  Having backed up, I selected the no-multilib (stable) profile.  I
checked out how glibc would build...

[x8940][root][~] emerge -pv1 glibc

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 3.33 s.

[ebuild     U  ] sys-libs/glibc-2.36-r7:2.2::gentoo [2.36-r5:2.2::gentoo]
USE="multiarch ssp (static-libs) -audit -caps (-cet) -compile-locales (-crypt)
(-custom-cflags) -doc -gd -hash-sysv-compat -headers-only (-multilib*)
-multilib-bootstrap -nscd -perl% -profile (-selinux) (-stack-realign*) -suid
-systemd -systemtap -test (-vanilla)" 0 KiB

  The forced (multilib) flag has changed to forced (-multilib).  The
other USE flag change is (-stack-realign).

emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --update @world

calls for glibc to to be updated (-multilib*) and (-stack-realign*)

  In addition, the profile change appears to cause 5 rebuilds...
sys-libs/ncurses (-stack-realign*)
sys-apps/sandbox (-32*)
virtual/libcrypt (-32*)
sys-libs/libxcrypt (-32*)
sys-devel/gcc (-multilib*)

  The update is running.  I'll check the emerge results after I get back
from some shopping and fish-n-chips.

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars.  Searching for pages with AltaVista,