Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 04:45, Dale wrote:
>> Filesystem created:       Sun Apr 15 03:24:56 2012
>> Lifetime writes:          993 GB
>>
>> That's for the main / partition.  I have /usr on it's own partition tho.
>>
>> Filesystem created:       Sun Apr 15 03:25:48 2012
>> Lifetime writes:          1063 GB
>>
>> I'd think that / and /usr would be the most changed parts of the OS.
>> After all, /bin and /sbin are on / too as is /lib*.  If that is even
>> remotely correct, both would only be around 2TBs.  That dang thing may
>> outlive me even if I don't try to minimize writes.  ROFLMBO
>
> I believe this only shows the lifetime writes to that particular
> filesystem since it's been created?
>
> You can use smartctl here too. At least on my HDD, the HDD's firmware
> keeps tracks of the lifetime logical sectors written. Logical sectors
> are 512 bytes (physical are 4096). The logical sector size is also
> shown by smartctl.
>
> With my HDD:
>
>   # smartctl -x /dev/sda | grep -i 'sector size'
>   Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
>
> Then to get the total logical sectors written:
>
>   # smartctl -x /dev/sda | grep -i 'sectors written'
>   0x01  0x018  6     37989289142  ---  Logical Sectors Written
>
> Converting that to terabytes written with "bc -l":
>
>   37988855446 * 512 / 1024^4
>   17.68993933033198118209
>
> Almost 18TB.

I'm sure it is since the file system was created.  Look at the year
tho.  It's about 11 years ago when I first built this rig.  If I've only
written that amount of data to my current drive over the last 11 years,
the SSD drive should last for many, MANY, years, decades even.  At this
point, I should worry more about something besides it running out of
write cycles.  LOL  I'd think technology changes will bring it to its
end of life rather than write cycles.

Eventually, I'll have time to put it to use.  To much going on right now
tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)