Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:33:22 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> Also, I switch to the current kernel, it failed in the same way.  It
>> isn't just the new kernel, it seems to be any of them.  I wonder how
>> hard it is to switch to that other driver.  From the wiki page, it looks
>> like a big deal.
> Not really, AFAIR. You just enable nouveau drivers in your kernel config,
> uninstall the nvidia package and reboot. This assumes you haven't got any
> direct references to the nvisia driver in /etc/xorg.conf*.

I think, pretty much certain, I have it set to nvidia in xorg.conf.
This is a old install.  If I recall correctly, I have to change that.
Also, I'd need to edit make.conf I think.  I read the wiki thingy a few
times.  It's mostly undoing things but with the age of this install, I
don't think my old way is the new way.  Yep.  I'm getting better at
grep.  lol

root@fireball / # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep driver
    Driver         "mouse"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Driver         "nvidia"
root@fireball / #cat /etc/make.conf | grep video_cards
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia vesa"
root@fireball / #

I think I'd have to change those.  It may or may not rebuild some
packages.  Would I need to leave out vesa or OK to leave it in?

The easiest part, enable in kernel and build it.  With your nifty dracut
command option, it just works. LOL  By the way, the nvidia-driver
package compiled fine against the new kernel.

I may be into to much today to play with this tho.  Maybe late today.
Tomorrow depending on weather.

Next time I copy a ebuild to a local overlay, I need to remember to copy
any files directory over too.  I don't recall ever doing that before.

Thanks to all.  Gotta do some things so may reply to others later.

Dale

:-)  :-)