On 11/5/05, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:48:04 -0800
> Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > It would depend on how your home network is set up.  A squid proxy
> > > could work for you.  What are you trying to accomplish?
> > >
> > Thanks. I'll look into squid. I guess with squid all of that machine's
> > requests go to this machine and then it forwards stuff on, keeping a
> > record? Is that the basic idea?
> >
> > If so, does that mean that all traffic for the machine in question
> > actually does through the squid machine? If so that might mean too
> > much wireless traffic the way we are set up.
>
> yes thats the point of squid it is a proxy.

OK, but that's like using the word in the definition to a guy who's
never used a proxy. ;-)

I'm still unclear though, and I'm sure I'll find this out either
through reading or use. do all packets for the machine using the proxy
go through the proxy? Or is it more like a DNS server where just the
URL's go through the proxy to figure out what to do?

Right now the machine under observation is on one wireless leg. The
one machine that's on all the time is on anothe wireless leg. Neither
is directly tied to the cable modem. If the traffic pattern looks like

M_OBSERVE -> router -> M_SQUID -> router -> Internet -> router ->
M_SQUID -> router -> M_OBSERVE

The I created a lot of extra wireless traffic, especially since the
machine being observed seems to like to watch a lot of gaming videos.
If it's just addresses, then no big deal. If it's the whole data
stream then it's not going to work well.

On the other hand I have a MythTV frontend that is not always turned
on but could be, I suppose, which is on the router, as are a few of my
audio machines. I'm loath to start putting this stuff on machines in
my studio....

> > Or is it just the addresses that are proxied?
> >
> > As for purpose, as I said earlier my wife wants to know all web sites
> > that a certain computer on our network visits over time.
>
> trouble with the kids?

:-)

Thanks,
Mark