On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 May 2023 15:58:20 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Going further, this page states:
> >
> > "The load average value is the same as displayed by top or uptime, and
for
> > an N-core system, a load average of N.0 would be a 100% load. Another
rule
> > of thumb here is to set X.Y=N*0.9 which will limit the load to 90%, thus
> > maintaining system responsiveness."
>
> That's the first reference I've seen to percentage load. Interesting.
Perhaps
> changes are afoot already.
>
> > So, how many cores does your system have? For a 16 core system, if you
want
> > 40% load, you only want to spawn 16 * 0.4 jobs so you'd set that value
> > 6.4
>
> 24 cores, but portage is ignoring my load-average anyway, so I'm
interested to
> see what the bug reports elicits.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peter.

I'm sure you get this but I'm pointing toward the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
portage variable which, according to it's page that "defines entries to be
appended to the emerge command line." I suspect they are appended, but
that doesn't guarantee that they override other entries that you are adding
by hand or have somewhere else. It seems reasonable to me that you
might just use this setting with nothing else and see if you can get it
under
control.

Note the blue section on the page:

 Note
When MAKEOPTS="-jN" is used with
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs K --load-average X.Y" the number
of possible tasks created would be up to N*K. Therefore, both variables
need to be set with each other in mind as they create up to K jobs each
with up to N tasks.

The ''problem' is this can easily hit 100% of the cores you have in the
machine if not sensibly set. (You choose what's 'sensible')

HTH,
Mark