230520 Michael wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 May 2023 10:54:21 BST Nuno Silva wrote:

>>> The compilation complains it is missing the firmware required by a realtek
>>> NIC, probably a setting inherited from the config settings of the old
>>> kernel? You eventually compiled it with "N".  I suspect the order in
>>> which you configured/compiled it plays a role in this error.
>>> Since you do not have this hardware, set it to "N", then run:
>> Could this be the manually defined list of firmware blobs to include in
>> the kernel image, and not something automatically pulled in by a driver?
>> I'm not sure what's the quickest way to check, perhaps this works?:
>>     grep CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE /usr/src/linux/.config
> This will not resolve the problem of a missing firmware file.
> It is missing in the filesystem.

The problem was 'make oldconfig', which used a  5 year-old  .config .
For some reason, the resulting  .config  insisted on installing
the Realtek driver, which wasn't available.

I cut the Gordian knot by moving the other  .config's  out of the way
& doing a raw 'make menuconfig'.  Then the kernel compiled.
If it needs further tweaking, esp for missing drivers, I can do it later.

It's too late to do further steps today,
so we'll see what happens when I try booting from the new kernel.

Thanks for the various pieces of help.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca