Grant Edwards wrote:
> I just bought a new 6TB WD Red Plus drive to replace a couple older
> drives (one of which had generated an uncorrectable error email from
> smartd).  I decided that I'd stick it in an external USB-3 SATA drive
> "dock" thingy from Thermaltake and do some testing before installing
> it.
>
> Using smartctl, I ran a "short" self test and a "conveyance" test, and
> both passed.
>
> Then I started a "long" (extended) self test. According to the drive,
> that should take 640 minutes (a bit under 11 hours).  It almost
> immediately reported test running with 90% remaining. A couple
> hours later, it still said 90% remaining.  I stopped the test, ran
> another short test. Messed around with some other smartctl commands,
> and started another "long" test.  Again, it immediately said 90%
> remaining.  After 20 hours, it still said 90% remaining.
>
> Tests getting stuck like that seems to be pretty common.
>
> Some time spent Googling found me two suggestions:
>
>  * The test is stalled because the disk is busy.
>
>  * The test is stalled because the disk is idle.
>
> Apparently, they're both valid.
>
> The self-test runs in the background when the drive is not busy, so if
> the drive is heavily loaded, self tests can take a lot longer.  But,
> if the drive is _completely_ idle, it might spin-down and go to sleep
> (which pauses the test). This is reportedly more likely to happen when
> the drive is attached via a USB-SATA adapter [I don't know if that's
> true].
>
> Sure enough, if I waited 5-10 minutes and asked for the test status, I
> would hear the drive spin-up when queried.
>
> So I ran a "watch" command to query the drive every 10 seconds:
>
>     watch -n10 smartctl -d sat -c /dev/sdc
>
> That seems to keep the drive spinning without doing any actual R/W
> ops, and within an hour the status changed to 80% remaining. About 6
> hours after that, it's now 20% remaining.
>
> So the moral to the story is: when running an extended self test on a
> drive, you don't want it to be busy, but you also don't want it so
> idle that it spins down goes to sleep.
>
> Maybe everybody else already knew that, but it took me an hour or two
> to figure it out...

That's some neat info.  You could likely set 'watch' to a couple minutes
and still be fine but as you say, it doesn't really do anything put poke
the drive to keep it awake.  lol

I might add, this is why I like eSATA external drives.  They don't
sleep.  They function just like a drive that is installed inside my
system.  If it goes to sleep, I told it to nap.

Good of you to post this.  This just could help someone one day that
runs into this.

Dale

:-)  :-)