On Monday, July 3, 2023 7:23:12 AM CEST William Kenworthy wrote:
> Inline:
>
> On 3/7/23 12:52, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 2, 2023 4:16:54 AM CEST William Kenworthy wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>      I have been  using a gentoo mail gateway for many years - its
> >>      currently
> >>
> >> running under LXC and is upgraded using a generic LXC "golden master"
> >> image
> >> with the various email related packages being installed and config files
> >> copied across roughly a month or two apart.  This is always a trial,
> >> particularly with permissions and has become much worse with gentoo's
> >> attempt at using the acct packages to manage user and group ID's.
> >
> > I actually find this easier to solve issues. What do you find difficult
> > here?
> Trying to interpret an error message that says "it cant connect" with no
> detail as to why when started via the openrc service script - but it
> works fine when started as the amavis user in debug mode.
>
> If I try and run it in debug mode from root it produces lots of perl
> errors that do not occur with either the openrc service script or amavis
> user:
>
> fetch_modules: error loading optional module Razor2/Client/Agent.pm:
>    Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm:   lib/Getopt/Long.pm: Permission denied
> at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.36/aarch64-linux-thread-multi/Razor2/Client/A
> gent.pm line 15.
>    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.36/aarch64-linux-thread-multi/Razor2/Client/A
> gent.pm line 15.
>    Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 212.
> fetch_modules: error loading optional module Mail/DKIM.pm:
>    Can't locate Mail/DKIM.pm:   lib/Mail/DKIM.pm: Permission denied at
> /usr/sbin/amavisd line 212.
> fetch_modules: error loading optional module Mail/DKIM/Verifier.pm:
>    Can't locate Mail/DKIM/Verifier.pm:   lib/Mail/DKIM/Verifier.pm:
> Permission denied at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 212.
> fetch_modules: error loading optional module Image/Info.pm:
>    Can't locate Image/Info.pm:   lib/Image/Info.pm: Permission denied at
> /usr/sbin/amavisd line 212.
> fetch_modules: error loading optional module Image/Info/GIF.pm:
> and many more!

Which USE-flags do you have?
I only have "clamav spamassassin" (the other parts are implemented differently
for me)
As these are perl modules, did you try "perl-cleaner" to see if that fixes
anything?

> >> The latest problem driving me up the wall is amavis-new wouldn't start
> >> after the upgrade.  I have postfix sending email to port 1024 where
> >> amavis is listening (this time required a new setting in amavisd.conf
> >> not previously needed) but postfix now wont accept email back from
> >> amavis on port 10025 so mail is mostly queued (some leaks at times - no
> >> idea why).
> >
> > I assume you mean port 10024 ?
>
> NO, 10025 - postix is configured to send mail to amavis on 10024 for
> scanning via clamav, and forward back to postix on 10025 where its
> getting the error

In your original email: " I have postfix sending email to port *1024* where "

> - note that this configuration has been working for
> over 20 years with the same basic configuration until now.  I originally
> set it up under a "mailuser" group ID and I am increasingly finding that
> on startup I have to check files to make sure their permissions are
> unchanged.  From the reading I have done on this I am suspecting that
> this latest version of amavis is trying to enforce "something" but not
> telling me what - at this stage I suspect amavis is the root cause and
> not postfix.

Are you still using "mailuser" ?
In " /etc/amavisd.conf ", what is configured for:

$daemon_user  = ...
$daemon_group = ...

> >> and what has thrown me: I can stop amavisd, then log in as user "amavis"
> >> and run "amavisd -c /etc/amavisd.conf debug" then everything works as
> >> intended! WHY?
> >
> > Does postfix start before or after amavis?
>
> The startup scripts start amavisd first, but there is no difference if I
> manually start amavis after postfix (unless I run it as the amavis user)

Ok, so when started as init-script, from root, it fails. when run as amavis,
it works.
Am wondering if the 2 settings mentioned above have something other then
amavis.

> >> I am preparing a new mail gateway LXC image as a clean install to try and
> >> straighten out the underlying permissions, but a fix for my current
> >> dilemma
> >> would be appreciated!
> >
> > If a clean install works, I'd recommend a comparison between the 2 (start
> > with a diff for both "/etc") to check the cause.
>
> Thats what I am working up to but I was hoping someone has seen this
> before to save time - its going to be a couple of days before I can get
> back to it.

I haven't seen this myself, but I have used the default user and group since I
set this up.

--
Joost