Norberto Bensa schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> you're using sudo. I find many anomolies in sudo;
>

> Why does people hate sudo so much?

Actually, I don't hate sudo at all; I use it all the time, and it saves
a lot of difficulty. I just get annoyed because I, in my ignorance,
generally expect it to act like a "super su", and it doesn't-- in fact,
it's something else by design, but I don't know enough about the
underlying design and the reasons for it, to not fall into the mistaken
assumption if I attempt to use sudo "on the fly", as it were.

Which ultimately means that I have to either set sudo up very carefully,
or pay very close attention when using it on the fly, or use an
alternative, and two out of three of those choices obviate my reason for
using sudo, which is to be able to perform certain root functions
*quickly*, without breaking stride in the overall operation I'm performing.

For example, I get the mail saying what updated packages I have
available, I run a --pretend emerge, am not happy with the USE flags,
and so want to change them, meaning I have to edit root-only files. I
can run nano using either su or sudo, but either way I have to input a
password (under normal circumstances), and the passwords aren't the
same, meaning I have to think about something else (am I running su or
sudo, and which one uses which password), which is a distraction from
the job at hand.

So unless I set sudo (and in fact ~/.bashrc) up to not interrupt the
flow of my main activity (which I have taken some pains to do), sudo is
no better than su -- and the fact that sudo does not do some things that
su - does (unless explicitly set up to do them), just makes the
situation worse.

But I assume that this is most likely because I'm using sudo for
purposes that it can handle, but are not strictly within its design
parameters.... naturally the fit is not perfect. I'm sure that if I was
a server admin, using sudo to manage root access privileges in defined
areas for defined groups, it would be a much smoother ride.

The fact that a coin can unscrew a screw, but is not the best or most
comfortable tool to do so, is no reflection on the coin, nor the screw.
In fact, I'm just glad that the coin can do double-duty. What a waste of
time and energy it would be to hate such a tool, for taking advantage of
a bit of luck in both designs.

>> there's a problem with your ebuild, which also uses the PORTDIR
>> variable.
>

> I've found the problem. Portage doesn't like packge-0.0.1beta.
> Instead you must name it like package-0.0.1_beta. Now I need to do
> some magic inside the ebuild to s/_//
>
> Many thanks!

Well, I'm sure you can handle that bit of ebuild magic. Glad to have
been of help in finding the problem.

Holly