On 2023-07-05, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> This version of memtest86 ran to completion after going through the whole
> 64GB, and stopped with a success message.

That's a pretty good sign, but I have seen memory that made it through
one complete test pass and failed on subsequent ones.

> Over the last...oh, many months, I've noticed an occasional package in a
> large
> batch failing for no obvious reason, only to succeed on its own.

What sort of failure?  I've found that inconsistent/random gcc
internal errors or gcc segfaults have usually been due to failing
RAM. [Though in one case I remember, it was due to a failing SCSI disc
controller card -- back when that was a thing.]

It might also be due to a failing disk, but there are usually good
indications of that in dmesg output and in SMART logs before it starts
to affect other things.

--
Grant