Hello list,

My little Celeron LAN server lives on /dev/sda5, with /boot on /dev/sda2. It's
a UEFI system so /dev/sda2 is VFAT. Other partitions exist but they're not
germane here.

The poor wee thing takes about four hours to compile a kernel using both its
cores, during which time I keep /boot mounted. I could leave mounting it until
the 'make install' stage but I haven't done that so far.

The machine also contains a small rescue system on /dev/sda4, which I maintain
in a chroot under /mnt/rescue. Its kernel also takes four hours since I prefer
to keep the two kernels identical (apart from a local '-rescue' suffix in that
system).

Now, my question is: is it safe for me to mount the boot partition on /boot
and /mnt/rescue/boot simultaneously? The man page hints that it is, and I can
see them both:

$ cat /proc/mounts | grep boot
/dev/sda2 /mnt/rescue/boot vfat
rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro
 0 0
/dev/sda2 /boot vfat
rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro
 0 0

The main system and the rescue system will each write files to its own /boot,
but there shouldn't be any collisions because of course they all have different
names.

Ordinarily, there's no difficulty because the two systems don't usually need
kernels compiled at the same time, but if I can run them concurrently
overnight I ought to finish ahead.

Has anyone any cautionary notes for me?

--
Regards,