On 2023-08-12, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 21:45:38 +0200, Arsen Arsenović wrote:
>
>> Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> writes:
>
>> >   The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
>> >     curl_ssl_openssl? ( openssl )
>
>> A REQUIRED_USE of 'X? ( Y Z )' means that if X is set, Y and Z must be
>> set.  In boolean algebra, it can be expressed as a X => ( Y AND Z ).
>
> OK, thanks!  I tried to look up curl_ssl_openssl in use.desc and
> use.local.desc, but couldn't find it there.  I think openssl was missing,
> too.  So it didn't occur to me that they were themselves USE flags.

The description for CURL_SSL USE_EXPAND flags appears to be in

    /usr/portage/profiles/desc/curl_ssl.desc

Just in case this wasn't mentioned yet in the thread, and to make sure
it's mentioned explicitly: CURL_SSL=openssl is expanded to
curl_ssl_openssl as a USE flag.

So my understanding is that the openssl flag controls building the curl
part that can use openssl, and curl_ssl_openssl selects that part to be
used for SSL.

>From a quick (hopefully not *too* quick) glance at the ebuild, I think
this is because curl can be built with more than one SSL backend (the
USE flags that appear in USE=...), and the CURL_SSL=... USE_EXPAND flags
control which one gets to be the default.

(But someone more knowledgeable please correct me if this is wrong or
incomplete.)

--
Nuno Silva