Howdy,

I took a old hand me down puter and put TrueNAS and some hard drives in
it a good while back.  Well, the drives are filling up.  I wanted to add
another drive to the pool but it appears you can't do that.  With LVM,
it is easily doable, in minutes.  So, TrueNAS, while a neat tool, isn't
going to work for how I end up doing things.  Time to get a better tool.

I'm wanting to install something that I can use LVM on.  It's something
I'm already familiar with and it will serve me very well.  I'm thinking
about just installing a binary based OS that is lightweight.  The old
computer isn't super powerful.  It has 8GBs of memory and a 4 core CPU.
About 15 years old I think.  I don't think I'll even need a GUI really.
I figure I'll need NFS or something so I can mount it and LVM to manage
the drives and such.  I'll also need support for encryption.  I use
sys-fs/cryptsetup and whatever tools it depends on.

Since some on this list have used other distros and know what they
support, what would you recommend?  Ubuntu? Slack?  I do want something
that is fairly well maintained and will be around for a long time.
While I could likely install something else and LVM still have my data,
I don't want to have to learn something only to switch and learn again.
If there is a distro that has a light GUI, that would be fine too. I
don't recall using a GUI to use LVM or encryption tho.  Still, could
come in handy if it is really light.  Odds are, I'll only start the GUI
if I need it.

Thoughts?  Alan, I bet you have some ideas.  :/  LOL

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)