William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 7/9/23 11:09, Dale wrote:
>> Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

>>> Note that people used to shoot themselves in the foot when lazily
>>> (or by
>>> accident) adding a single disk to an existing pool. If that pool was
>>> composed of RAID vdevs, then now they had a non-redundant single
>>> disk in
>>> that pool and it was not possible to remove a vdev from a pool! That
>>> single-disk vdev could only be converted to a mirror to at least get
>>> redundancy back.
>>>
>>> The only proper solution was to destroy the pool and start from
>>> scratch. By now there is a partial remedy, in that it is possible to
>>> remove mirror vdevs from a pool. But no RAIDs:
>>> https://forum.level1techs.com/t/solved-how-to-remove-vdev-from-zpool/192044/5
>>>
>>> https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/performance-when-removing-zfs-vdevs-with-zpool-remove.1481148/post-40491873
>>>
>>> And you get some left-over metadata about the removed vdev.
>> That's good to see.  I'll bookmark those links for the future.  At least
>> this is doable.  If I do mess up, I could just start over.  It only
>> takes about 10 days to copy over again.  o_O

>>> Haven’t we had this topic before? At least twice? Including the
>>> comparison between
>>> the three layers of LVM with their equivalent in ZFS land. ;-)
>>>
>>> ZFS is more meant for static setups, not constantly changing disk
>>> loadouts
>>> of varying disk sizes.
>>>
>> We may have but being more familiar with LVM, I try to sort of make it
>> make sense to me.  Honestly, ZFS doesn't really make sense, yet.  My
>> understanding, it has two layers instead of three.  I think.  If there
>> was a NAS thing like TrueNAS that used LVM instead, I'd be all over it.
>> I likely would have never used TrueNAS at all.  If I found one, I'd
>> switch faster than a lightning strike.  Even if it is done in GUI I'd
>> switch.  Command line would be fine by me.  Honestly, once set up and a
>> network is working, all I need is for it to boot, let me enter the
>> encryption password and me able to mount the thing from my main rig.  Of
>> course, shutdown when done as well.
>>
>> Then it may be best for me to consider other options. I'm always adding,
>> swapping out or otherwise moving things around.  That is one thing I
>> like about LVM.  The only thing I try to avoid, shrinking a file
>> system.  I use ext4 so it is doable as long as there is enough space but
>> still, I try to avoid it.  I may have done that once, maybe.
>>
>> At least I got it done now.  Updating my backups went faster than
>> expected.  Already done and drives are back in the safe.  Since I have
>> three drives in the little cage and little room for air flow, I added a
>> fan to the drive cage.  They got up to the 40's C pretty quick.  Can't
>> have them getting hot.
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
> Hi Dale,

> [...]

Mine doesn't look like that pic, yet anyway.  I have a drive cage that I
took out of a old case.  Given how hot drives used to run, I have no
idea why they packed them so tight.  Even modern drives that run cooler
still need a fan and it has no holes for one.  I know, I drilled some to
add my fan.  It ran OK with two drives but three was to much. Anyway,
since I unhook and place the drives in a safe, I just put the cage on
top of the puter and hook it up.  When done, unhook and back in the
safe.  It could start to look like that pic I guess.  lol

Those links are interesting.  That old puter was given to me by a friend
that bought a new one.  I put more memory in it and a little bigger CPU
cooler but installing Gentoo on that thing would be time consuming even
with no GUI stuff.  I'd want to watch the temps to make sure it can
handle that too.  It's a quad core CPU running at 2.4GHz I think.  It's
a old Dell.  It's maxed out on memory.  That tells you something right
there.  LOL  If I switch to something I can use LVM on, it will likely
be Ubuntu.  Sounds easy enough.

If I can ever build me a new rig, I'm going to recycle my current rig
into a NAS or something like it.  I just need to get around to building
a new rig, or the Raspberry things become available again.  That would
be neat there.

I got to much stuff going on. :/

Dale

:-)  :-)