Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 September 2023 08:07:59 BST Dale wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> As some know, I like LVM.  The Truenas box serves a purpose with zfs but
>>> I am more familiar with LVM and using zfs is sort of confusing me
>>> because they do similar things in similar ways but are different.  Each
>>> time I want to do something, I have to figure it out again, sometimes
>>> ask for help.  As long as I don't need to change anything, it works
>>> great.  ;-)
>>>
>>> I found something called openmediavault, OMV.  It is here:
>>>
>>> https://www.openmediavault.org/
>>>
>>> On the features page, it lists LVM as a plugin.  From what I read, it
>>> doesn't seem to have a default tool for managing hard drives, it seems
>>> you have to pick one.  This leads to me to questions.  It is based on
>>> Debian, never used it but have read it is fairly easy, been around a
>>> long time and is usually very stable.  Seems to be a server type
>>> distro.  So far, I kinda like the idea of this.  I'd have to redo my
>>> backups again but hey, I been there before.  At least if I do switch,
>>> I'll be using a tool that I'm pretty good at.  I think Alan M suggested
>>> this ages ago.  Could have been Neil.  LVM is likely the best thing I
>>> ever used except for Linux itself.  :-D
>>>
>>> Anyone use OMV before?  Does it work similar to Truenas but able to have
>>> other tools installed?  Anyone use LVM on this thing?  If nothing else,
>>> was it stable and dependable?  I have to say, Truenas has been rock
>>> solid.  Never so much as a hiccup.  It just boots and runs until I shut
>>> it down.  I suspect OMV would be the same but never hurts to ask.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)
>>>
>>> .
>> I figured out a way to install this to see what it looks like.  I found
>> out it doesn't support encryption.  No LUKS stuff or anything.  So, it
>> won't work.  Thinking about installing Gentoo or Ubuntu on that old
>> rig.  Most likely Ubuntu.  I guess Debian could work too.
>>
>> If anyone is looking for a NAS software package that supports
>> encryption, Truenas seems to be it at the moment.  Oh, it does support
>> LVM tho.  So, if one doesn't want encryption but wants LVM, this might
>> be a option.  It is GUI based like Truenas.
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I've used OpenMediaVault for a short period.  In my experience it was very
> stable.  The GUI is quite intuitive.  You can also configure directly its
> settings using a CLI.  I can't recall if it provides encryption, but it
> shouldn't be that difficult to install any missing packages yourself and
> configure the partition/directories?

The install was fairly easy, except for getting the network to work.  It
seems it wants IPv6 and is a bit stubborn about it.  I have a good
hammer.  lol  I wasn't in there long.  When I saw it didn't have
encryption as a plugin, I moved on.  From what little I used it, I kinda
liked the layout.  In a way, better than Truenas really.  I may could
have installed encryption stuff but I figured it wouldn't work with the
GUI part then.  For the most part, I boot the NAS box, mount it, update
my backups, umount it and then shut it down.  No monitor, keyboard or
mouse.  Maybe one day it will have support for encryption.

I currently have Ubuntu installed.  I would have been done with it
sooner but I had a typo in exports and it wouldn't allow me to mount the
thing.  Wrong IP for my main system.  At least it's secure.  ROFL  So
far, my biggest gripe is sudo this, sudo that.  Dang, give me root and
be done with it.  :/  I did try, no freaking password for the thing.  I
gotta google that tho.  There has to be a way.

I was hopeful for a bit there. Maybe one day.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  The guy behind OMV has a familiar name.  I can't place it tho.