On 2023-10-13, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As most likely know, I'm in the process of building a new rig and
> putting a couple older systems to use.  Most of my mobos support
> PCIe-x16 2.0 for video cards.  I found a Nvidia NVS 510 that has four
> mini HDMI outputs.  Research claims those are for multiple monitors, in
> other words not cloned.  I can use mini HDMI to regular HDMI adapters
> easy enough.  I found a website that lists Nvidia cards and I think this
> will suite my needs rather well.  I currently have a GeForce GTX 650 and
> it works just fine but it is older.  While this 510 isn't a spring
> chicken by any means, it seems to be a little younger.  On my newer rig,
> it will likely be PCI 3.0.  Will this card work in it as well?  In other
> words, are they backward compatible?  I think I've read that mobos are
> but want to be sure.

Yes, PCIe cards are supposed to be backwards compatible with older
PCIe implementations on motherboards and vice-versa.

Be warned: I went through a couple generations of NVS-3xx cards. I had
to recycle both of them because NVidea driver support stopped long
before I had any real reason to replace either of the boards. [I could
never get the open-source driver to work.]  After being forced to
replace a second perfectly servicable NVidia card, I swore never to by
NVidia again.

--
Grant