On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 11:15 PM Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, if one
> of the links is down, Ubuntu is really fond of waiting a couple
> mintues for it to come up before it finishes booting. [If it doesn't
> wait for all the network interfaces, how is it going to do all that
> cloudy crap nobody really wants?]

I think the intent is to prevent dependency issues, though IMO that
would be better avoided by just setting dependencies on the systemd
units.  However, many distros try to abstract systemd behind a wall of
distro configuration in part because they wanted to the original
transition to systemd to be seamless.

I have a bunch of ubuntu hosts that have dual NICs and they just love
to take forever to boot.  This is despite having only one entry in
/etc/netplan and having it have "optional: true" set.  networkctl
shows one interface as "configuring" even after the system is up for
days.

Hmm, might even be a systemd-networkd bug.  I see ubuntu created
/run/systemd/network/10-netplan-alleths.network and it contains
"RequiredForOnline=no".

Oh well, I rarely reboot so it just hasn't been on the top of my list
of things to fix.

Honestly, I'd prefer if it just let me configure networkd directly.
I'm sure there is some way to do that, but I feel like if I do then
I'll have to read the release notes every time there is a new release
to make sure it isn't going to break it.  If you're going to run a
distro like Ubuntu I've found it is generally best to just figure out
the "Ubuntu Way" and do it their way.  If that isn't adequate, the
easier solution is to just use a more appropriate distro.

--
Rich