On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 17:29:19 CET Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> My little server needs help with compiling, so I NFS-export /var (which has
> its own partition) to a chroot on my workstation. I mount all the partitions
> on both server and workstation. Then when I chroot, env-update hangs for
> ever. Well, over an hour anyway.
>
> Is it possible to export /var in this way? I can't see anything else wrong.

I don't see why it shouldn't work, but there's a couple commands I use to
debug NFS. They're not *great*, but they work.

I haven't used Gentoo in a while so I forget exactly what env-update does, but
I assume mounting the network share works successfully and this is just a
command that accesses /var.

You can use these commands to make the kernel driver output debugging
information to dmesg.

On the client:

> # rpcdebug -m nfs -s all

On the server:

> # rpcdebug -m nfsd -s all

On both sides, if the others don't give useful info, this is for the lower
level protocol:

> # rpcdebug -m rpc -s all

Then, try running the command again. It will spew a lot of info but hopefully
you can figure out from it what's going on.

-Marco :-)